I periodically comb the digital "shelves" of Amazon.com for new books that provide guidance to yogis who practice at home. Recently, I discovered Amy Luwis' delightful little tome, Yoga to the Rescue-Ageless Beauty: How to Keep Yourself Glowingly Beautiful Inside and Out!
I am always into being "ageless" and in looking one's best. This book offers so much more! The title belies the treasure trove of practical information within its covers to enhance your home yoga practice.
I recommend adding this book to your yoga library for the following reasons:
* Like my book (yes, a shameless plug for my book!), Amy Luwis writes in an easy-to-follow, and personal way. You FEEL her friendly presence as you read. I eschew yoga books that explain poses in a generic, lifeless, and institutional manner. Amy includes references to her own experiences in the book which makes her feel real to me.
* Amy begins her book with basic health tips which are excellent adjuncts to a vibrant home yoga practice - dry brushing of your skin, dietary recommendations (adding a Reishi mushroom a day "can help keep the doctor away") and the importance of quality sleep..
* You will find a wide variety of poses from which to choose - a total of 47 that are organized into 6 different sequences. Each of the sequences has a different aim-such as practicing yoga to become ageless, achieving serenity, or overcoming pain.
* Amy shares my philosophy of never pushing yourself through pain and she agrees with my tenet that "slow mo' is the way to go." She says, "Don't blast through yoga poses.. Do them mindfully, gently, and slowly."
* The illustrations of the yoga poses are cute, non-intimidating, and inviting - highly encouraging for the beginning yogi! You will find humor infused throughout the book - much welcome levity for the new yogi who may feel tentative about a yoga practice.
* Amy offers easier options for the more challenging poses so that everyone can benefit even if they are less "athletic" or physically "challenged" in some way.
As you must know from the 8+ years that I have been writing this yoga blog, yoga can indeed come to the rescue for so many of life's challenges. And, Amy Luwis' book (in addition to my book!!), in my opinion, is one of the best you can find to get your started or to enhance your existing practice. Go buy yourself a copy today!
Laura Venecia Rodriguez, the Yoga at Home Beginners Coach